Wednesday April 29, 2009
YARMOUTH, Maine — On July 17, 18 and 19, 2009, this normally quiet New England village will swell to 15 times its size as nearly 120,000 visitors flock to the 44th Annual Yarmouth Clam Festival.
One of Maine’s most popular summer events, this year’s festival will deliver expanded versions of newer events, such as It’s Clamtastic!, and will delight participants with ever-popular ones, such as the Friday night parade, Saturday night fireworks, the Clam Shucking contests, Firefighters’ Muster, performances by noted musicians and entertainers and, of course, lots and lots of clams!
Highlights of this year's Yarmouth Clam Festival include:
• "Hats Off to Broadway!" — The Friday-evening parade (6:00 p.m. on Main Street) will capture the memories and imaginations of young and old alike, as local businesses and neighborhood groups march through town with floats that capture the essence of this year's theme.
• It's Clamtastic! — "The Maine Ingredient": The Festival's hugely successful cook-off returns Thursday, July 16 (6:00 to 8:00 p.m.) for its fourth year with a "Maine Ingredient" theme. Appetizers will feature the classic Maine ingredient - POTATOES! Local restaurants put their best dishes forward, and attendees sample the entries and vote for their favorite. Local musicians will entertain the crowd.
• Serendipity Stage — Volunteer performers showcase their talent on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons on the First Parish Church lawn. This is a great opportunity to see new talent.
• Teen Clam Festival "Battle of the Cover Bands" — Invitational: This event features a competition among local teen cover bands. Budding rock stars will showcase their talent Friday afternoon (3:00 to 6:00 pm) at Railroad Park. Come and vote for your favorite!
• Arts and Crafts — Over 125 craftspeople, artists, and photographers will display and sell their work.
• Entertainment — The Festival features over 40 performances by local and world-class musicians and entertainers spanning a remarkable breadth of styles and talents.
• Kids Fun Run — This will be held in two age classes this year, starting at 7:20 am with a half-mile run for three-to-six-year-olds and then a one-mile run for seven-to-twelve-year-olds at 7:30 am.
• Food! — As always, clams will be the featured menu item at the food circle, but there’s much more to choose from: seafood chowder, clam cakes, lobster rolls, shore dinners, fried shrimp, pizza, home-baked desserts, the famously thirst-quenching Lime Rickeys, and more.
Admission to Yarmouth Clam Festival events is FREE. Proceeds from the food booths and parking lots help support over 35 non-profit organizations in the Town of Yarmouth. You can learn more about this year's Yarmouth Clam Festival at www.clamfestival.com or by calling the Yarmouth Chamber of Commerce at 207-846-3984.
Press Contact: Clam Festival Communications