Tuesday September 15, 2009
GO TEXAN restaurants encouraged to participate in statewide dine-out event Sept. 28 - Oct. 2
AUSTIN —Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples is looking for chefs and restaurant owners who buy local to participate in the second annual GO TEXAN Restaurant Round-Up. During the statewide dine-out, which runs Sept. 28 - Oct. 2, restaurants can offer special Texas menu items, a food and wine pairing, or a Texas wine list. During the weeklong event, consumers around the state will be encouraged to dine out in support of local chefs and Texas farmers and ranchers.
“The GO TEXAN Restaurant Round-Up celebrates restaurants across Texas that care about serving the freshest local ingredients,” Commissioner Staples said. “Consumers enjoy buying locally grown products, and the GO TEXAN Restaurant Program is a great opportunity for chefs to highlight those Texas items and encourage consumers to dine out in support of local restaurants and producers.”
Launched in January 2008, the GO TEXAN Restaurant Program includes more than 330 establishments, including Wildcatter Steakhouse in Graham, the Bill Miller Bar-B-Q chain and the landmark Driskill Grill in Austin. To qualify, restaurants must be located in Texas and serve Texas products.
Establishments interested in becoming GO TEXAN restaurants and participating
in the dine-out week can visit www.GOTEXANRestaurantRoundUp.com.
GO TEXAN restaurants receive:
- Connections to local producers and growers;
- Inclusion in GO TEXAN e-zines, Web sites, advertisements, calendars, directories and newsletters;
- Branding opportunities by using the GO TEXAN mark on menus, printed materials and a window decal; and
- Discounted rates to exhibit at events and festivals spotlighting Texas cuisine, and discounted advertising rates for print publications.
A portion of the Restaurant Round-Up’s proceeds will benefit local food banks, which are seeing heavier demand due to the current economic challenges. Building on the success of last year’s inaugural dine-out day, the event has expanded to five days in 2009.
The GO TEXAN Restaurant Round-Up also kicks off Texas Wine Month in October.
RESTAURANT ROUND-UP INFOLETTER
2008 RESTAURANT ROUND-UP RADIO SPOTS
- Restaurant Round-Up ad featuring Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison
- Restaurant Round-Up ad in Spanish
- Restaurant Round-Up ad with Commissioner Todd Staples
2008 RESTAURANT ROUND-UP VIDEOS