Tuesday January 12, 2010
From EATER.COM: At a ceremony at the Venetian Resort in Las Vegas, noted authority on Chinese food, Chinese Restaurant News, announced their top Chinese restaurants in the country, 2010. Top Chef Season 1 contestant Lee Ann Wong was on hand to dole out the honors, as was the godfather of Chinese cookery on TV, Martin Yan. The rankings were determined by a group of secret diners, as well as public votes -- to qualify, each restaurant must serve a menu consisting of at least 50% Chinese cuisine, and have been open for at least two years.
This year's Top 10 Overall Excellence winners:
- Ching's Table (New Canaan, CT) - A family-run regional chain, Ching‚s Table operates 12 locations in Connecticut and New York City. Chef and owner Alan Li and his partners also operate two locations in New York City named Wild Ginger. Chef Li has been in the restaurant business for more than 28 years.
- Bo Ling's (Kansas, MO) - A family chain named after its creators, Richard "Bo" and Theresa "Far Ling" Ng, Bo Ling‚s operates seven locations and has been in business for 28 years.
- Wang's King Seafood Restaurant (OR) - A family chain that operates six locations of its fine dining dim sum restaurants, Wang's King Seafood Restaurant has been in business for over 15 years.
- Mr. K's (NYC, NY) - Serving classic fine dining Chinese cuisine, this landmark Manhattan eatery owned by Johnny Kao and family has been in business for more than 30 years.
- Ana Mandara (San Francisco, CA) - A classic Asian fine dining eatery in San Francisco, Ana Mandara represents the Asian restaurant award category added this year.
- Seafood Village Chinese Cuisine (HI) - Specializing in Chinese, Japanese and Asian Fusion, this fine dining restaurant is located in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Happy Harbor (Los Angeles, CA) - An upscale family restaurant serving Cantonese dim sum and seafood, Happy Harbor has been in business for more than four years.
- Chef Chu's (Los Altos, CA) - An upscale family dining restaurant that also offers fine dining catering, this landmark restaurant is located in Los Altos near Stanford University, and has operated under the ownership of chef and owner Lawrence C. C. Chu for over 40 years.
- Lao Szechuan (Chicago, IL) - An upscale family dining destination in Chicago‚s Chinatown, Lao Szechuan has become a landmark attraction to tourists. Chef and owner Tony Hu and his partners own and operate four locations.
- Zine Noodles & Dim Sum (Las Vegas, NV) - An upscale family dining restaurant located in the Venetian Hotel and Casino, Zine Noodles & Dim Sum is presided over by Chef Simon To, a celebrated chef with more than 20 years of culinary experience.