Friday April 1, 2011
From Nursing Schools.net: It's hard enough to get picky kids to eat foods that are good for them and will help them grow up strong, even without limiting the choices to only vegan options. While it might be a challenge, there are plenty of vegan recipes out there that can help make your job a little easier as a parent and are perfect for picky eaters of any age. Here are 100 delicious vegan recipes that will nurture and delight your young ones today and continue to pique their fancy as they grow up, head to college and beyond.
Help your young ones start off the day on the right foot with these yummy meals that are so good you might just want to make them for yourself as well.
- Baked Oatmeal: Give a tasty twist to traditional oatmeal with this hearty vegan recipe.
- Healthy Breakfast Cookie: Think cookies can't be for breakfast? Think again. This recipe will have your kids thinking they're getting away with something while still eating healthy.
- Wonderful Waffles: Cut out the dairy and enjoy these yummy waffles for breakfast.
- Hearty Hash Browns: Turn a couple of boring potatoes into a breakfast bonanza with the help of this recipe.
- Vegan French Toast: With a couple of tweaks you can make a breakfast classic vegan.
- Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes: Instead of settling for plain old pancakes, give this recipe a try to spice them up in a way even your little ones will love.
- Breakfast Burrito: Take breakfast south of the border by trying out this fabulous vegan breakfast burrito recipe.
- Tofu Scramble: Not being able to eat eggs doesn't mean you can't enjoy a good breakfast scramble. As this recipe demonstrates, tofu can be a good substitute.
- Eggs Benedict: Hollandaise sauce is generally pretty non-vegan, but this recipe makes a few tweaks that keep it animal-free and tasty.
- Breakfast Home Fries: Your kids will love eating these tasty fries for breakfast.
- Buckwheat Pancakes: Amp up the nutrition in these breakfast staples by using buckwheat.
- Banana Bread Pudding: Indulge in the deliciousness of this recipe for a great start to your morning.
- Breakfast Quinoa: Quinoa isn't just a dinner or lunchtime grain. With the help of some spices and fruit, it can be a great breakfast for kids as well.
- Glazed Donuts: This donut recipe can be a great treat for hungry kids and is simple to make as well.
Whether they're eating at home or bringing lunch to school, give kids delicious vegan options by using these recipes.
- BBQ Delight: Bread, lettuce, tomato, soy cheese and BBQ sauce blend to create this simple lunch sandwich.
- Low Fat Vegan Egg Salad: No eggs? No problem! Learn how to make a faux egg salad that won't have you or your kids missing the real deal.
- Mock Tuna Salad: You don't need to eat fish to enjoy the flavor of tuna salad when you use this recipe.
- Vegan Grilled Cheese: Learn to fully master the art of this kid-friendly classic using vegan ingredients.
- No Mayo Vegan Potato Salad: A perfect side for any sandwich, this potato salad gets creative with ingredients to keep it vegan.
- Peanut Tofu Wrap: Even picky kids will love this take on tofu that wraps it all up and tops it off with a tasty peanut sauce.
- Rice and Lentil Salad: Use leftover rice and lentils to throw together this salad that's a perfect side or main dish.
- Chickpea of the Sea Sandwich: Turn chickpeas into a tuna substitute using this recipe from The Kitchn.
- Quinoa and Smoked Tofu Salad: Fancy enough to please adult palates but simple enough for little ones to love, this salad is a great way to keep your family healthy and full.
- Tempeh BLT: Sub out real bacon in favor of a tempeh alternative to create this classic dish kids will love.
- Elise's Sesame Noodles: Simple to make and tasty to eat, this recipe blends noodles, veggies, sesame seeds and sauce to create an enviable lunch.
- Broccoli Latkes: Give your potato pancakes a boost of nutrition by throwing in some broccoli for a healthy meal your kids will love.
Make dinner a breeze around your home with these recipes that are sure to please.
- Vegetable Maki Sushi: Kids and adults alike will have a blast making this veggie sushi.
- Vegetable Pot Pie: Pot pies might not scream vegan, but this recipe will show you can do a great job making a vegan alternative that will please your picky eaters.
- Homestyle Vegan Meatloaf: While this recipe doesn't use any real meat, it does create a delicious dinner for your family.
- Black Bean Zucchini Quesadillas: Simple, healthy and delicious, this meal will be a winner for any parent out there, vegan or not.
- Hurry Up Alfredo: This quick meal gives a vegan take on a traditional alfredo pasta.
- Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Morels and Fiddleheads: This recipe looks like it's from a fairytale which might please kids, but if they're put off by the veggies, simply sub in others instead.
- Sweet Potato Falafel: These tasty falafels are hard to resist and are a perfect treat for a fall dinner.
- Chili Mac: Few meals are more classic than chili mac, and with this recipe you'll be able to whip it up without using a single non-vegan ingredient.
- Barbecued Seitan Ribz: Seitan is a versatile substance, and in this recipe you'll learn how to use it to craft delicious BBQ ribs for your family.
- Italian Layered Vegetable Casserole: Eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and beans form the base for this delicious dish.
- Simple Fried Rice with Japanese Seven Spice: Give traditional fried rice a vegan spin with this amazing recipe from Vegan Yum Yum.
- Breaded "Chicken" Nuggets: Many kids out there love things that come in nugget form, so bread up some tofu and get those kids noshing on this healthy treat.
- Vegan American Hamburger: If your family wants to enjoy some yummy burgers, try out this recipe to do it vegan style.
If you're looking for something to pair with a hearty vegan main dish, these recipes may be just what you're looking for.
- Vegan Mac and Cheese: You won't meet many kids who'll pass up on mac and cheese, so learn to make it the vegan way to keep you and your kids happy at the same time.
- Basic Vegan Mashed Potatoes: Enjoy delicious, creamy mashed potatoes with your main dish when you use this recipe.
- Vegan Gravy: Looking to top those taters? This gravy recipe has you covered.
- Wild Rice Dressing: Whether you're having it for a holiday meal or just a weeknight side, this recipe is super healthy and super easy to make.
- Baked Beans: Perfect for that summertime BBQ, this recipe helps you create amazing baked beans with vegan ingredients.
- Edamame Fried Rice: Those delightful soybeans are put to good use in making this irresistible rice dish.
- Italian Sauteed Vegetables: It doesn't get much simpler than this great recipe for a veggie side.
- Farmer's Market Quinoa: Take advantage of those fresh veggies by whipping up this dish, subbing in the veggies your kids like best.
- Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad: This summery salad makes a great side to any Mexican dish, burgers or just about anything else.
- Mediterranean Chickpeas: Chickpeas are packed with the protein you and your little ones need to stay healthy, so whip up this recipe to try a tasty way to prepare them.
- Fingerling Potatoes and Paprika: This simple dish will help to round out any family meal.
- Whipped Sweet Potatoes: Sick of regular old potatoes? Use sweet potatoes instead as this recipe suggests.
- Vegetable Tempura: You don't have to go out to get great tempura. Make this fried side as a treat for any Asian-inspired meal.
Soups and Chilis
If you want to warm up with something tasty, these soup recipes are totally veggie and don't skimp on flavor.
- Roasted Pumpkin-Apple Soup: This recipe will soon become a fall favorite in your home.
- Quick and Easy Potato Soup: If you're looking to make dinner in a hurry, try out this family-friendly soup recipe.
- Garden Vegetable and Bean Soup: Check out this highly nutritious recipe for dinner.
- Cream of Tomato Soup: Paired with a grilled cheese, this soup will be one of your kid's favorites.
- Quick Edamame Soup: If your little ones love edamame, they're bound to enjoy this tasty Asian soup.
- Leek Potato Soup: Less pungent than onions, leeks are a great choice for picky eaters.
- "Chicken" Noodle Soup: Who says you can't enjoy a great chicken noodle soup just because you're vegan? Give this recipe a try for that homemade taste.
- Zesty Wheat Berry-Black Bean Chili: Amp up the health of your chili by trying out this recipe.
- Classic Chili: Whether you're watching the big game or just hungry for a filling meal, this recipe has got you covered.
Just because you're eating vegan doesn't mean you can't indulge your sweet tooth now and then. Kids and adults alike will love these recipes.
- Mint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies: Double the chocolate means double the deliciousness with this recipe.
- Pineapple Creamsicles: They're creamy without the cream, the ideal vegan dessert.
- The Ultimate Vegan Brownie: These brownies are so rich and chocolatey, one just might be enough.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: This basic cookie recipe gets a vegan update here.
- Vanilla Cupcakes: Bake up a batch of tasty cupcakes for a party or just for fun using this recipe.
- Apple Pie: With help on making a vegan crust, you'll have no trouble whipping up this classic pie for dessert.
- Vegan Truffles: Got a kid with a hankering for chocolate? Make these chocolate candies that are dairy-free.
- Blueberry Hand Pies: Individual pies are a great way to mix up the traditional dessert.
- Sassy Shortbread Cookies: Shortbread cookies are a great snack or dessert and this recipe will show you a great way to make them.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie: Your kids might not know what rhubarb is but they'll know they love it after trying this recipe.
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes: Make eating cupcakes even more fun by cooking and serving them in ice cream cones.
- Peanut Butter Bombs: These globes of goodness are sure to satisfy even the most discriminating sweet tooth.
- Sugar Cookies: This vegan recipe will help you make those Christmas or holiday cookies you grew up with.
If your kids are begging for a snack between meals, these options are easy, tasty and sometimes healthy ways to appease them.
- Oaracopuwape Balls: The name may be hard to say but these snacks are worth the tongue twisting to make.
- Vegan Lassi: Learn how to make this classic Indian yogurt drink the vegan way with help from this recipe.
- Fat Free Vegan Smoothie: Tweak the ingredients of this smoothie recipe to fit the tastes of your kids.
- Hummus: Few snacks are healthier or tastier than hummus, and you can easily make your own at home.
- Vegetable and Mint Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce: Kids will love these fun, see-through spring rolls as a snack.
- Easy Green Sprout Roll-Ups: Healthy and appealing to kids, these rolls are the perfect snack.
- Vegan Corn Fritters: If you're willing to put in a bit more effort, these fritters are a delicious appetizer or snack– especially when corn is in season.
- Homemade Applesauce: Sure, you could buy applesauce, but it'll be that much more delicious when you do it yourself.
- Mozzarella Sticks: These breaded soy cheese sticks will be a big hit with your kids.
- Puppy Chow: This chow-down classic gets an update with this recipe, becoming the perfect, though not quite healthy, snack for kids.
- Breaded Tofu: Jazz up tofu with some breading and pan frying.
- Simply Nachos: It's hard to go wrong with nachos, so learn how to make them as a tasty vegan treat for your kids using this recipe.
- Raisin Walnut Balls: These snacks are tasty, but are also packed with protein and nutrients your kids need.
Baking doesn't have to involve eggs, butter and milk. These vegan recipes prove that you can make delicious baked goods completely animal product-free.
- Blueberry Scones: Blueberries add a hint of sweetness to these yummy scones, perfect for breakfast, dessert or tea time.
- Coffee Cake: You'll want to eat this coffee cake all day, not just paired with a cup of joe.
- Vegan Wheat Bread: You could buy bread at the store, but this recipe makes it much more satisfying to make it at home.
- Cinnamon Raisin Bread: The cinnamon-goodness of this bread will have your kids eating it up.
- Vegan Cranberry Nut Bread: This bread is pretty healthy and tasty enough for even picky eaters to love.
- Banana Bread: This classic bread is a great way to use up old bananas while making a yummy snack.
- Vegan French Bread: Pair your favorite pasta or sandwich toppings with this fabulous vegan take on traditional French bread.
- Raspberry Applesauce Muffins: These muffins are a perfect start, or end, to the day when raspberries are in season.
- Croissants: Ideal for breakfast or just a special treat, these buttery pastries are even better when made vegan.
- Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts: Vegans may not be able to eat store-bought pop tarts, but they can make their own that are just as tasty at home.
- Cinnamon Buns: Your little ones will love snacking on these amazing cinnamon rolls on a lazy Saturday morning.
- Blueberry Muffins: Try out this recipe to enjoy a vegan version of this classic muffin.
- Pannetone: You can still enjoy this traditional holiday sweet bread when you follow this vegan recipe.