Friday March 9, 2012
Despite the overwhelming dominance of shameless plugs, humblebrags and baffling tweetspeak that only 12-16 year-olds understand, Twitter still hosts an abundance of relevant, useful and humorous food and restaurant related content. Here's a handful of this week's best tweets. Speaking of self-promotion, feel free to follow us @LocalEaters.
Sarah J. Gim (@the delicious): "New kitchen has two ovens. it's like theyre mocking my inability to bake." Sort of a first world problem, but we've all felt like our kitchen appliances are taunting us at one time or another.
Andrew Zimmern (@andrewzimmern): The host of Bizarre Foods tweeted drool-worthy photos of not-entirely-bizarre foods at one our favorite Memphis restaurants, The Bar-B-Q Shop. "BBQ bologna cheese sausage peppers saltines at BBQ Shop. http://twitpic.com/8sku70"
Kyle Kinane (@kylekinane): On yipster dining habits: "Hipsters are the new yuppies then, right? 'Hot new' music sounds like Phil Collins and everyone wants to go to vegan fusion restaurants."
Sam Sifton (@SamSifton): The NY Times editor mourns his favorite rapper with some choice food-related lyrics. "RIP Biggie: 'Come to spread the butter lyrics over hominy grits.' " Another user's follow up is worth noting: "that was method man though, old white guy." Close enough … Biggie's name is still on the song (and he clearly was no stranger to butter).
Anthony Bourdain (@noreservations) weighs in on the Olive Garden review that went viral. "Very much enjoying watching Internet sensation Marilyn Hagerty triumph over the snarkologists (myself included)." We laughed and rolled our eyes. We reconsidered when we realized everyone reacted the same way. We now have her back. An emotionally taxing day on the interwebs.
Scotty L. (@MarylandMudflap): "I'm lookin for capitalists to invest in a new restaurant! No 'menu' yet, but every night I'm gonna fall down stairs with a full tea service." This would be the first legitimately entertaining dinner theater in the world.
Tim Siedell (@badbanana): On the lack of advancement in breakfast innovation: "We have enough breakfast items for the toaster now, food scientists. Move on to the car heater vent."
Friday October 28, 2011
A Kansas City Barbeque Society certified barbecue judge weighs in on the McRib, with somewhat predictable results. I'm partial to the phrase "restructured meat products."
Tired of being teased by all the "In-N-Out Burger may be franchising in your state soon" stories that never seem to pan out? According to Eater, you can have two frozen Double-Doubles overnighted to your location for the mere sum of $50 (plus shipping).
For your viewing edification: A slideshow of the Best Burgers in the U.S. from Food & Wine. Among restaurants on the list are Holeman & Finch (Atlanta), Minetta Tavern (NYC), Ray's Hell Burger (Arlington, VA) and Dyer's Burgers (Memphis). I'll vouch for the decadent, melt-in-your mouth burger at Father's Office in Santa Monica, cooked a perfect medium rare and topped with caramelized onions, bacon, gruyere and Maytag blue cheese.
- August 19, 2016Truckeroo Food Truck FestivalWashington D.C.
- August 19-20Stone Brewing 20th Anniversary Celebration & Invitational Beer FestivalSan Marcos, California
- August 19-21Annual Lone Star Gourd FestivalNew Braunfels, Texas
- August 19-21Annual National Championship Musky OpenEagle River, Wisconsin
- August 20, 2016Taste of BrewsLong Beach, California
- August 20, 20166th Annual L.A. Taco FestLos Angeles, California
- August 20, 20162nd Annual Southern MD Wine, Jazz, R&B & Funk Festival 2016Prince Frederick, Maryland
- August 20, 2016Beer, Bourbon and BBQ FestivalVirginia Beach, Virginia
- August 20-217th Annual Blackberry FestivalSherman, Connecticut
- August 20-2135th Annual Fairborn Sweet Corn FestivalFairborn, Ohio
- August 21, 2016Taste of Paleo, Food Festival for the Modern CavemanYorba Linda, California
- August 21, 2016The Traveling Plate HiloHilo, Hawaii
- August 21, 2016Taste of Fond du Lac in the ParkFond du Lac, Wisconsin
- August 22-23International Conference on Structural BiologyNew Orleans, Louisiana
- August 25-2610th Anniversary Fête RougeBaton Rouge, Louisiana
- August 25-28Gillespie County FairFredericksburg, Texas
- August 26-2741st Annual Urbana Sweet Corn FestivalUrbana, Illinois
- August 26-28OC Night MarketCosta Mesa, California
- August 26-28Make-A-Wish Tuna ChallengeSan Diego, California
- August 26-28CRFG Festival of FruitSan Luis Obispo County, California
- August 26-28Annual Stowe Wine and Food ClassicStowe, Vermont
- August 27, 2016Grills 'n GrillesPenn Valley, California
- August 27, 2016New England ClambakeMiddlefield, Connecticut
- August 27, 2016Wine & All that JazzBoca Raton, Florida
- August 27, 20164th Annual Cape Cod Food Truck FestivalCape Cod, Massachusetts
- August 27, 2016Tomato CelebrationMedia, Pennsylvania
- August 27-28San Diego Spirits FestivalSan Diego, California
- August 30, 2016Taste of OakdaleOakdale, California