Thursday August 16, 2012
Bon Appétit's 10 best new restaurants in America, the no cell phone discount, and considering the Sidecar on today's web roundup.
Today in food items that no one asked for: alcoholic sandwiches.
There can be only one: Chicagoland burger enthusiasts were baffled by erroneous internet rumors that Kuma's Corner would open a second location in the Woodfield Mall in Schaumberg, reports Serious Eats.
Esquire interviews the barkeep at Hollywood institution Musso & Frank Grill. Among topics covered: the virtues of the Sidecar, celebrity guests from Rock Hudson to Harrison Ford, and dolts who order cognac with coke (they exist).
Know your classic cocktails. The Sidecar: brandy, triple sec, sweet and sour, and sugar rimming the glass.
Friday February 10, 2012
With Valentine's Day rapidly approaching, the internet is saturated with romantic recipes, alleged aphrodisiac foods, swanky restaurant suggestions and bizarre heart-shaped edibles of all varieties. Enjoy these deliciously romantic (or romantically delicious) links.
John Mariani of Esquire compiles a list of the The Restaurants to Take Her On Valentine's Day. Romantic restaurants making the cut are Daniel (New York), The River Cafe (Brooklyn), Picasso (Las Vegas), Azul (Miami), Jean-Louis (Greenwich, CT), Fleur de Lys (San Francisco), Spiaggia (Chicago) and Auberge du Soleil (Rutherford, CA).
For heartless bastards looking to go in the opposite direction, Eater Chicago scouts restaurants ideal for breaking up in, preferably before Valentine's Day. Among their choices: Kuma's Corner, Carnivale, Violet Hour and White Castle. On the contrary, White Castle has gone out of their way to promote romance with their Share the Love Valentine's Day Photo Contest. The winner gets a romantic dinner for two -- and hopefully a proposal involving a chicken ring.
Food Republic gives sound advice on How to Eat and Drink on Valentine's Day, categorized by relationship status. Single? "Bar. Bar. Bar. Bar. Bar. Bar. Bar. Go to a bar. It will be filled with other single people."
It wouldn't be Valentine's day without slightly off-putting heart-shaped food items. Slice (Serious Eats) illustrates How to Make Heart-Shaped Pizza and Heart-Shaped Pepperoni. If you feel compelled to make heart-shaped hard-boiled eggs (how sensual!), Bon Appétit has you covered. And finally, here's heart-shaped Nutella ravioli from Recipe Girl.
- August 19, 2016Truckeroo Food Truck FestivalWashington D.C.
- August 19-20Stone Brewing 20th Anniversary Celebration & Invitational Beer FestivalSan Marcos, California
- August 19-21Annual Lone Star Gourd FestivalNew Braunfels, Texas
- August 19-21Annual National Championship Musky OpenEagle River, Wisconsin
- August 20, 2016Taste of BrewsLong Beach, California
- August 20, 20166th Annual L.A. Taco FestLos Angeles, California
- August 20, 20162nd Annual Southern MD Wine, Jazz, R&B & Funk Festival 2016Prince Frederick, Maryland
- August 20, 2016Beer, Bourbon and BBQ FestivalVirginia Beach, Virginia
- August 20-217th Annual Blackberry FestivalSherman, Connecticut
- August 20-2135th Annual Fairborn Sweet Corn FestivalFairborn, Ohio
- August 21, 2016Taste of Paleo, Food Festival for the Modern CavemanYorba Linda, California
- August 21, 2016The Traveling Plate HiloHilo, Hawaii
- August 21, 2016Taste of Fond du Lac in the ParkFond du Lac, Wisconsin
- August 22-23International Conference on Structural BiologyNew Orleans, Louisiana
- August 25-2610th Anniversary Fête RougeBaton Rouge, Louisiana
- August 25-28Gillespie County FairFredericksburg, Texas
- August 26-2741st Annual Urbana Sweet Corn FestivalUrbana, Illinois
- August 26-28OC Night MarketCosta Mesa, California
- August 26-28Make-A-Wish Tuna ChallengeSan Diego, California
- August 26-28CRFG Festival of FruitSan Luis Obispo County, California
- August 26-28Annual Stowe Wine and Food ClassicStowe, Vermont
- August 27, 2016Grills 'n GrillesPenn Valley, California
- August 27, 2016New England ClambakeMiddlefield, Connecticut
- August 27, 2016Wine & All that JazzBoca Raton, Florida
- August 27, 20164th Annual Cape Cod Food Truck FestivalCape Cod, Massachusetts
- August 27, 2016Tomato CelebrationMedia, Pennsylvania
- August 27-28San Diego Spirits FestivalSan Diego, California
- August 30, 2016Taste of OakdaleOakdale, California