Monday February 20, 2012
Happy Presidents' Day! The magnifying glass on the commander-in-chief has allowed us much insight into the dietary habits of our presidents over the years. For instance, there's Bush Sr.'s hatred of broccoli, LBJ's love of Fresca, Obama's chili recipe and Reagan's obsession with jelly beans (even the much-maligned licorice ones). In honor of Presidents' Day, here are a handful of links on presidents and dining.
Eater NY maps out the restaurants visited by U.S. presidents in " The Guide to Presidential Dining in New York City." Obama and Clinton seem to have a lot in common (Red Rooster, Il Mulino), as did Reagan and Nixon (Le Perigord). Rugged individualist Teddy Roosevelt did his manly dining at Delmonico's. Other restaurants of presidential pedigree rounding out the list include Blue Hill, Daniel, 21 Club and Gabriel's.
Robert Sietsema of The Village Voice ranks " America's Five Greatest Foodie Presidents." Somewhat suprising: wiry and generally unpleasant Andrew Jackson's love of cheese and lavish banquets. Less suprising: Taft was into food.
Serious Eats Chicago gives a thorough rundown of " How to Eat (And Drink) Like President Obama in Chicago." The commander in chief's favorite spots include Manny's Deli, Rick Bayless's Topolobampo and Valois Cafeteria.
David Faries of The Dallas Observer conducts a fictional foodcentric interview with former presidents.
And for your viewing edification, Bill Clinton (played by the late Phil Hartman) takes a few moments to mingle with the people at McDonald's near the White House on Saturday Night Live. INTERCEPTED. WARLORDS!
- August 19, 2016Truckeroo Food Truck FestivalWashington D.C.
- August 19-20Stone Brewing 20th Anniversary Celebration & Invitational Beer FestivalSan Marcos, California
- August 19-21Annual Lone Star Gourd FestivalNew Braunfels, Texas
- August 19-21Annual National Championship Musky OpenEagle River, Wisconsin
- August 20, 2016Taste of BrewsLong Beach, California
- August 20, 20166th Annual L.A. Taco FestLos Angeles, California
- August 20, 20162nd Annual Southern MD Wine, Jazz, R&B & Funk Festival 2016Prince Frederick, Maryland
- August 20, 2016Beer, Bourbon and BBQ FestivalVirginia Beach, Virginia
- August 20-217th Annual Blackberry FestivalSherman, Connecticut
- August 20-2135th Annual Fairborn Sweet Corn FestivalFairborn, Ohio
- August 21, 2016Taste of Paleo, Food Festival for the Modern CavemanYorba Linda, California
- August 21, 2016The Traveling Plate HiloHilo, Hawaii
- August 21, 2016Taste of Fond du Lac in the ParkFond du Lac, Wisconsin
- August 22-23International Conference on Structural BiologyNew Orleans, Louisiana
- August 25-2610th Anniversary Fête RougeBaton Rouge, Louisiana
- August 25-28Gillespie County FairFredericksburg, Texas
- August 26-2741st Annual Urbana Sweet Corn FestivalUrbana, Illinois
- August 26-28OC Night MarketCosta Mesa, California
- August 26-28Make-A-Wish Tuna ChallengeSan Diego, California
- August 26-28CRFG Festival of FruitSan Luis Obispo County, California
- August 26-28Annual Stowe Wine and Food ClassicStowe, Vermont
- August 27, 2016Grills 'n GrillesPenn Valley, California
- August 27, 2016New England ClambakeMiddlefield, Connecticut
- August 27, 2016Wine & All that JazzBoca Raton, Florida
- August 27, 20164th Annual Cape Cod Food Truck FestivalCape Cod, Massachusetts
- August 27, 2016Tomato CelebrationMedia, Pennsylvania
- August 27-28San Diego Spirits FestivalSan Diego, California
- August 30, 2016Taste of OakdaleOakdale, California